Thursday, October 9, 2008

this i believe

I believe in new days, in climbing out of bed to know that a whole, new, clean day stretches before me.

I believe in family. In laughing, talking, eating, and playing with them.

I believe in holding babies. Their new hearts jumpstart mine into living more fully. I believe in looking deep into their eyes. I believe they're heaven-sent.

I believe in gardens. I believe in digging, sowing, weeding, watering, and harvesting. I believe squatting in the dirt and working makes me alive.


Just a few thoughts on this October morning. I love the "This I Believe" Series on NPR and here's a snippet from an 1950's essay by Hugo Haas.
His dad and brother perished in Nazi gas chambers. He's Czech and escaped to the U.S.

I believe in friendship as something given by God to make our lives worthwhile, warm and less lonesome. And I believe in love with all the consequences of joy, sorrow and sacrifices. For love is the strongest element that in the final analysis fulfills our lives. It is the strongest impression left to the end of our days and all the dear faces connected to these feelings: father and mother, brothers and sisters, wife and children, stay with us in our memories to the very last moments of our consciousness.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I believe in love.

Natalya said...

I believe in miracles! You sexy thing!