Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Shadows

I had to write a poem for my Creative Writing. Here is my offering.

I never saw a velvet sky until tonight—
Walking onto campus to take my science test.
While molecules of information,
Whirled in my mind like Brownian motion.

Students were dark shadowy figures creeping quietly.
Someone whistled briefly-then quickly stopped.
Apparently afraid to break the silence
Or that shadows would break into unsettled violence.

My own steps were tentative and scared,
Like each one was increasing the entropy of earth.
My own shadow swung onto my left side
While the girl’s ahead of me was on her right stride.

The trees limbs were spider legs on the ground,
Crawling slowly to the edges of my sneakers.
The testing center was painted dungeon black,
From the shadows of the other building’s backs.

Before I stepped into the gloomy dark,
I looked up and caught my breath.
Purple stars pressed against the dusky blue sky,
Their own shadows totally invisible.

1 comment:

analyn said...

i especially like the lines about the shadows...
look! you're a poet, sis.