Saturday, July 19, 2008

happy birthday soon to my sister, the lovely girl with the russian name


In a celebration of sorts, I'm putting up a little something I wrote a while ago. I hope that's not cheating, if there are even any rules in this game. I had Sierra and myself in mind in the following. But I think Nat can include herself in here and so may anyone else who wishes, except if you are of the male sex because that would be rather disjointed. It's not the greatest, but it's something I'd like to go back and revise one day.


The girl next door. The girls next door. We’re not your sassy type. We like dirt on our knees and the scars left from long forgotten sticks and stones. We pull our hair back out of our eyes so we can see the world and face it head-on. We disdain the coloring of nails either on feet or hands. We prefer the dirt to have free roam between our fingers and toes. We can’t count the times we’ve slept under the sky. The girls next door. Chapstick suits us fine and we don’t wear it for the shine it gives but for the comfort it offers after a full day in the sun. We mow the lawns, weed the garden, and harvest the fruit. We hop the fence and laugh when our shorts catch the top of the fence and rip. We stand on mountain tops and feel strong. We hold babies closely and feel their hearts beat near ours. We are the girls next door.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I'm including myself in it. I am a girl next door. I surely is.